Saturday, March 05, 2005

Perspectives

"The man of great wealth owes a peculiar obligation to the State, because he derives special advantages from the mere existence of government. Not only should he recognize this obligation in the way he leads his daily life and in the way he earns and spends his money, but it should also be recognized by the way in which he pays for the protection the State gives him. On the one hand, it is desirable that he should assume his full and proper share of the burden of taxation; on the other hand, it is quite as necessary that in this kind of taxation, where the men who vote the tax pay but little of it, there should be clear recognition of the danger of inaugurating any such system save in a spirit of entire justice and moderation. Whenever we, as a people, undertake to remodel our taxation system along the lines suggested, we must make it clear beyond peradventure that our aim is to distribute the burden of supporting the Government more equitably than at present; that we intend to treat rich man and poor man on a basis of absolute equality, and that we regard it as equally fatal to true democracy to do or permit injustice to the one as to do or permit injustice to the other."

Theodore Roosevelt December 3, 1906


I read that quote and the first bolded line is what jumps out at me. It is my personal belief. It has been long before I ever laid eyes upon this quote. The second bolded line is what I hear coming out from the other side of the chasm. The Rich are unduly burdened. Flat taxes are more "Fair". I understand their point but I don't think it applies to the current situation. I wonder how people can be considered burdened when their wealth grows faster and faster. My future grandkids might agree with the other side. That frightens me.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

the thought that one day you will have grandkids frightens me too. ;)

sig said...

I feel so loved :P

Anonymous said...

;P <3
oh but you are!